Sunday, June 15, 2014

Love Others

This is the close of the series Be One Make One. 

This sermon juxtapositions the American Dream with "God's Kingdom Dream." What is God's dream for my life - takes me back to my ideas of my "first best destiny" (courtesy Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan). 

Where do I put my energy and passion? Is it pursuing money and the utterly illusory idea of financial security? If so - and it is so - my heart's in the wrong place. 

I got this from the notes - before the sermon started. Regrettably, although I know the church is struggling financially, this continuing focus on their need for money seems at odds with the sermon - which is starting now. 

The sermon is grounded on Romans 12. 

We belong to each other and our passion should be grounded in loving others. 

Romans 12:17-21 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary:“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 

Guess praying for my supervisors - even, grrr, the CEOs - is the right thing to do. 

"We honor Christ when we love what He loves!"

The Church is the source of hope for this world because Jesus is the Hope of the World. 

How do we recognize a vital church? The vitality of a church is rooted in how many members are changed people - rescued people - not churchy people. 

Churches are unified and God is the source if that unity. 

Doctrine and theology are the backbone of this unity. 

We should be know more by what we are for rather than what we are against. 

Don't be casual about life - loathe to give, loathe to feel passion. Reminds me of the song in Hair - Easy to be Hard. God's mercy and grace fuels our passion and lifts us out of apathy. 

If you keep your eyes on God's mercy, unbelievable things will happen. If our eyes drop we falter. 

Community groups were not formed here so we could make friends. It's to build disciples. 

Life happens, life is a struggle, and we are here to help and support one another.    We need each other. We need community. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. That we honor Christ best by loving what HE loves.

    ReplyDelete