Sunday, December 14, 2014

Notes from the Sermon

My brothers and sisters, if people say they have faith, but do nothing, their faith is worth nothing. Can faith like that save them? A brother or sister in Christ might need clothes or food. If you say to that person, “God be with you! I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat,” but you do not give what that person needs, your words are worth nothing. In the same way, faith by itself—that does nothing—is dead. Someone might say, “You have faith, but I have deeds.” Show me your faith without doing anything, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe there is one God. Good! But the demons believe that, too, and they tremble with fear (James 2:14-19). 

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. 

Do not lose sight of the Joy of Christmas in the busy rush of the season. This Joy is born from the knowledge that God loves us, God is with us, and God is for us. 

On to James. Why do we measure things in life? To see how we're doing. We measure our success on a diet with a scale. Works is how we measure how Christ works in us. We look not at what we want, intend, or think; but, what we actually do. What we actually do reveals what we really believe. 

Who do we trust, who do we believe, and how does that affect what we actually do? How do we know if we're a Christian? By our works, by our love. 

"The things we get in life can make us a living. The things we give in life can make us a life. Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up" (OCK TV).

There's no conflict between Ephesians 2:8-9 and this passage from James. The result of being a follower of Christ is our love and our works and our willingness to help others. If Christ is in us, then we cannot help but love. 

Christ changes us so that we are able to love as God Loves. God made us to do good works and Christ in us enables us to do that. We are made for more than simply being saved - we are made to spread that salvation (that Love) to others. 

Paul is speaking about the priority of faith; James is speaking about the proof of faith. 

We are saved by faith alone; however, a faith that saves us will never leave us alone. I can't work for my salvation, however my salvation must work in me. 

Salvation makes us new. It changes who we are and how we live. Jesus gives us a new normal - moves us beyond the foibles of our nature. Does Christ living in me make a difference in how I live today? 






No comments:

Post a Comment