Sunday, January 4, 2015

Notes from the Sermon

Today's reading is a harsh correction for the wealthy - James 4:13-5:6. Considering that the new year began with a broken computer and a broken truck at D&D Horse Transport, I see myself in:

James 4:13-15 - Some of you say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to some city. We will stay there a year, do business, and make money.” But you do not know what will happen tomorrow! Your life is like a mist. You can see it for a short time, but then it goes away. So you should say, “If the Lord wants, we will live and do this or that.” 

Reflecting is in order with the new year. When we look at the past we are often filled with regrets - I would've, I could've, I should've. 

What keeps me from doing what's right? We all make plans for our lives; but, we must remember to include God in our plans. But too often we want to do it our way. I know I've sometimes fear including God because God's plans are often not my plan. 

My preoccupation with my plans often keeps me from doing what's right. I fear including God will just muck things up. 

But I need to trust that it's the good things in life that come from God. God takes very good care of us :)

What plans preoccupy us? Now it's resolutions - which change just as plans do. When we seek control we fail. We need to not only invite God to be a part of our plans, we need to ask God to do the planning. We can write our plans in pencil but God can write in ink. 

When is the right time to do what's right? It's always right to do the right thing now. If you're willing to set aside your plans to do the right thing right now, then God opens doors. When we do that, I wish I had becomes I'm glad I did. 

How can I know what's the right thing to do? Be open to the opportunities to help. Seek to know God's plan. People can make all kinds of plans, but only the Lord's plan will happen (Proverbs 19:21). 

Ask God for help - ask God for wisdom - God is generous and will never respond with, "How can you be so stupid?"

What does it matter if I don't do what's right? There are sins of omission. Anyone who knows the right thing to do, but does not do it, is sinning (James 4:17). 

Eve's first sin was not eating the fruit - it was not paying attention to God. 

Not doing the right thing separates me from God. 

Where do people see God? In our lives. By doing the right thing, we show God to the world. It's the way God tells the world, "I exist!"

No comments:

Post a Comment