Sunday, February 5, 2017

I-it, I-you, I-Thou

Today's sermon is based on the fourth chapter of John.  We have a tendency to always ask, "What's in it for me?" Even as peacemakers, we ask that question. It's human nature. In social science there is the law of reciprocity that informs relationships. Even our relationship with God, although when you think about it, that's absurd.  The three relationships are based on the writings of Martin Buber. In an I-it relationship, we view the other person as an object. It can be self-defense to objectify the other. We don't have the capacity to love everyone deeply as a person. It is also used in hate. We cannot view an enemy as anything but an object. We take away their voice. These relationships are very dangerous. It's a lonely place because we close ourselves off from true relationships.  An I-you relationship views others as people. I-you relationships open space for dialogue. In politics we are becoming ever more I-it and it will end in violence. It is up to the Church to change this. How? The first thing we do is listen. Give the voice back to the other. Next, we have to apply leverage to the power dynamic. When power is involved, listening is not enough. If you are the person with power, then you must use that power to open a space for others to talk. If you are the underpowered person, then you must find a way to turn the other cheek. Jesus's saying about this was not about meekly allowing people to beat you. Turning the other cheek forced the person to hit you like they would hit an equal. In other words, try to force those in power to see you as a person.  The third relationship is I-Thou. In the story of the Samaritan woman at the well, the relationship between the woman and Jesus starts as I-it, but Jesus invites her - invites us - to an I-Thou relationship. This is a full relationship that is built on Love.  In a way, the threat inherent in relationships seems to escalate from I-it to I-Thou in that we are more vulnerable in each step. But hatred and violence are the fruits of I-it and true Love that of I-Thou. 

No comments:

Post a Comment