Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Valley of the Shadow of Death

This morning I emailed the following to my friend about some bad news I had heard this week:

I really and truly don't want to know. It's like the mega-volcano in Yellowstone everyone is posting about - I can't do anything about it, so I'd rather be in the dark.

Of course, I suspect strongly that peace doesn't mean being in the dark or blind to the problems around you, but rather in trusting that God will take care of you.

Moving from there to Facebook, Spiritual Networks posted:


and
I know I am thickheaded and often miss the obvious; but, sometimes I feel like I'm being hit over the head with a holy 2X4 of truth. I think fear is - without a doubt - a huge fault in my makeup because it leads to so many other things - a lack of generosity, a meanness of spirit, a timidity when it comes to doing what is right. My prayer for Lent and beyond is to let go of fear. Please pray for me.

2 comments:

  1. "I think fear is - without a doubt - a huge fault in my makeup because it leads to so many other things - a lack of generosity, a meanness of spirit, a timidity when it comes to doing what is right. My prayer for Lent and beyond is to let go of fear. Please pray for me."

    That is one of the most quietly and elegantly insightful confessions I have ever read. I will pray for you. Please pray for me.

    ReplyDelete