Sunday, April 5, 2015

Notes from the Sermon

Today's sermon it titled, The Three Chairs of Easter and the scripture is Matthew 6:33:

Seek first God's kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well. 

Cool that worry is the focus of the reading when it is worry that drives me here. 

Each of the three chairs represents a decision about Easter. 

First Chair - Represents someone completely sold out to Jesus. 

Commitment 
Personal relationship with God
God is #1 ALL the time
Easter is about the resurrection. 
Bible - I don't get it all the time but I believe and obey. 
Makes decisions based on convictions and what lines up with scripture. 
8% live here. 

Second Chair - A Christian who hangs back. 

Inconsistent
Parental relationship - cultural Christianity. 
At the end of the day - self first. 
Most stressful - it's a constant "What do I do?" "Who comes first?" Both first and third chairs made a decision. This fits in with research about happiness and religion - agnostics have it the worst. 
Easter is a celebration - among a lot of other celebrations. 
I have lots of Bibles and I obey the Bible 85-90% of the time and that's pretty good. 
Bases decisions on counsel from Christian friends. 
77% in this chair. 

Third Chair - A good person who is unsure about Jesus. 

Compromise
Self only - not sure God is real. Doesn't want to be told what to do. 
Easter - Maybe I'll go to church - it will be a good thing and make my family happy. 
I have a Bible somewhere. 
Bases decisions on popular opinion (PC).
15% in this chair. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment