Saturday, March 1, 2014

Notes on the Sermon - 2/23/2014

We receive love from God and we pass it on. We should routinely ask, "What does it mean to follow Jesus?" Seems to me a step away from WWJD - makes me less likely to just throw up my hands in despair and failure.

Been feeling supremely unlovable faced with the god-ness of God.

They have a new pastor and this is the music director's last week. Lots of changes.

Matthew 5:13-16 - I'm shy in person and routinely hide under the bowl. It's worse and worse - it took a lot to smile at the usher (her smile was well worth it). Disciples had still not grasped that they were going to change the world. Wow, imagine that - they truly changed the world.

During plague outbreaks Romans would dump those afflicted in designated areas to die. Christians would take these people into their homes to die.

In the early Roman world, less than 3% of families has more than one girl. Christians rescued these abandoned babies.

Records indicate that captured and martyred Christians faced their deaths with joy and peace.

Sermon refrain - Who are these people?!

We ARE salt and light - that's who God created me to be.

Salt and light cause change. We are all salt and light and this salt and light is for everyone.

Sermon series titled, "Love Does."

Find those people who aren't being loved and LOVE them. Bring the Church out into the World.

Early Christians did something with their love and they changed the world.

Homework - What's my story? What is God calling me to do?

Another man will be preaching next week.

For me, I realize I cannot be a good model for Dana - I cannot bring her to Jesus - as I am now. If I am to lead her, then I need to let God lead me. If I am to give her Jesus's love, then I need to receive it.

Signed up today with Bible Gateway to receive a daily reading from C. S. Lewis. Today's reading was from a letter to a woman who decided to return to church. So, here I am :)


No comments:

Post a Comment