Sunday, March 2, 2014

Notes on the Sermon

This is the last of the "Love Does" series. Next week they start a series on prayer. 

There's a new preacher today - Pastor Doug. The new music minister (interim) is very good. I'm glad that she's a wonderful singer - music is one of the main things I love about religious services. 

The first thing Jesus did when He asks us to follow Him is to provide a job description (i.e. vocation). We need to remember that. We have been invited to follow Jesus and share in HIS vocation. What He calls us to do has everything to do with relationship and vocation. He begins and ends his Earthly ministry by providing his followers with a job description. 

How are you partnering with Jesus to change the world?  

Gave the example of a family who gave up their successful life here to go to Liberia. 

Like the line from the Howard Jones songs that inspired me to be a lay missionary:

And do you feel scared, I do, but I won't stop and falter. If you throw it all away, it will only get better. 

God asks us to let go of our current treasures that our hands may be open to receive something better. Otherwise, we are like the poor monkey caught in a monkey trap, stuck because they refuse to let go of the false treasure they cling to. 

God's ideas for us are huge. We limit ourselves when we clench our fists tight to hold on to our "treasures" that are - as Jesus and the Buddha pointed out - turning to dust in our hands. 

What is God calling me to do? What is my first, best destiny? I know what it's not - it's not clinging to what I have with a desperate fear that I will lose it. 

Not surprisingly, the sermon did relate to this morning's meditation ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment